Sunday 21 November 2010

the new challenge: 100 days in the unknown! Day 47

IS IT ABSTRACTION?  ( Part I- facts)



I have been asking myself a little bit more about the new direction that I am taking at the moment.

Few people have mentioned 'abstraction' to me but I am very reluctant to use this word as many artist have used it under false justifications.

Taking the definition of wikipedia of the word 'abstraction'
Abstractions may be formed by reducing the information content of a concept or an observable phenomenon, typically to retain only information which is relevant for a particular purpose. 
 I suppose that when I read this definition, this is what I have been trying to do in some extends but this is not the only way my art is going as I am also trying to define the main components of a movement or attitude and this is not defined by abstraction? or is it? 
Taking another definition about 'Abstraction' in IT- computer science
 The mechanism and practice of abstraction reduces and factors out details so that one can focus on a few concepts at a time. One can regard the notion of an object (from object-oriented programming) as an attempt to combine abstractions of data and code. The recommendation that programmers use abstractions whenever suitable in order to avoid duplication (usually of code) is known as the abstraction principle. The requirement that a programming language provide suitable abstractions is also called the abstraction principle.

It is quite an interesting definition to understand the direction that I am taking with my art as before becoming an artist I have spent over 15 years working in IT and with a master degree in computer science, abstraction has always been part of my work, decomposing in reusable objects....  Has my scientific and IT education is influencing my art?    if I look at the the english definition of abstraction
abstraction - a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance

This definition does bother me a little bit about the possibility to call this direction 'abstraction' as all my idea and concepts are associated with a very specific instance, the horse and for some of the work it is associated with the essence of the movement and the rhythm.

I could also call the all process of this new direction 'derivation' although part of it is also an 'abstraction' for some instances...

According to definitions, derivation in mathematics is the development of the theorem. In Linguistics the derivation is a set of forms including the initial form, intermediate forms and final forms showing the successive stages in the generation of a sentence as the rules of grammar are applied to it.

some interesting definitions of abstraction and derivation , mathematical concepts that are helping understanding were my work is going and what is influencing it. I need to reflect more on that subject....

I am currently re-working one of my work called extended trot 2 to redefine the shapes that makes the piece but also working on few projects, one influenced by architecture and the other one by the concept of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment