Friday 26 November 2010

the new challenge: 100 days in the unknown! Day 50

IS IT ABSTRACTION?  (Part II - reflections)

It is quite difficult to explain the process that is happening at the moment with my sculptures and I don't think that "abstraction" is enough. For few years now, I have been concentrating to learn the "knowledge" of the subject, from anatomy to study of the movement. As a result, the subject representation( by that I mean the copy of the reality) gave my sculpture its strength. 

"For me a work must first have a vitality of its own, I do not mean a reflection of the vitality of life, of movement, and so on but that a work can have in it an intense life of its own, independent of the object it represent." Henry Moore.

 This is such a great quote that really helped me to see a different dimension in sculpting. I was concentrating so much on the anatomy that my idea didn’t manage to show through. I needed to strip my works from all the details to be able to find its inner strength. This is the reason why I moved away from the details, not for a conscious need to abstract but to find “its vitality of its own”.

See “Is it Abstraction (Part I – facts and definitions)” here http://marieackers.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-challenge-100-days-in-unknown-day_21.html

No comments:

Post a Comment