Friday 22 October 2010

the new challenge: 100 days in the unknown! Day 33

The multiples/ installation

I have still been thinking about this project but I think the first 3 pieces that I did for that are not right at all so I need to re-think how I am going to do this project. recently , I have been doing small maquettes that could work better for this project...

The purpose of such a project is to create an impact of masses, an installation of sculptures where one sculpture is only a small part of a larger scale piece.

I did a such of what an art installation means and this is what I found so far:
1)Installation art describes an artistic genre of site-specific, three-dimensional works designed to transform the perception of a space.
2)Installation art uses sculptural materials and other media to modify the way we experience a particular space. Installation art is not necessarily confined to gallery spaces and can be any material intervention in everyday public or private spaces

Those little sculptures are very small and by themselves, they are not having much of an impact but a lot of them would change the perception of the same space.

a very bad photo montage to show the difference

Just to quote an artist that I really like and respect: "I think I understand something about space. I think the job of a sculptor is spatial as much as it is to do with form. (Anish Kapoor)". I discovered Anish Kapoor's work while watching a show on TV about his exhibition at the Royal academy. During his interview he said that he wasn't doing art to shock but because he enjoyed making beautiful objects...those words made me look at his work.


Anish Kapoor is right ,  being a sculptor is not only about understanding forms, it is also about understanding the space.It could be the space that the sculpture occupy, the space created by a sculpture, the feeling of a space created by a sculpture or even the feeling created by a sculpture in a space.... 


I can just imagine that the effect of a large group of the similar sculpture in one room would have a very different effect than a single, tiny little sculpture on a very tall plinth in the middle of a huge room! 





No comments:

Post a Comment